Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

what's your favorite book of the bible... and why

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

what's your favorite book of the bible... and why Empty
PostSubject: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 7:07 am

i'm a fan of philippians.... although I also head towards ephesians frequently...
i like that i can read the whole book in 20 minutes and it has an impact...

particularly chapter 3 of phil... i heard once that you should read this chapter 25 times and it will change your life... if it didn't you didn't read it 25 times...

i read it 25 times and it didn't change my life... but i was impressed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 10:09 am

I'm not sure. Some books strike me more then others at various points in my life. For instance, the Gospel of John, was high on my list for a time and so was/is the book of Romans. I've been a fan of the Old Testament because the foundation to the Messiah was laid there, plus a number of books, like Daniel detail how the end-times will unfold.

If I were to be pinned down for a specific answer, I'd have to say the book of Revelation. Here we see God judging mankind in the tribulation, Satan defeated and Jesus rules the world in the millennial kingdom, only to see that we are still a sinful rebellious people and once again a multitude reject Jesus.

To that end, I've found the left-behind series to be a great series, while its fictional, there certainly some Biblical principals and gives you an image of how things could unfold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
ScriptureZealot
Novice

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Right now it's Colossians but partly because I just got done reading it intently and reading a commentary. It's succinct and so rich at the same time. 1:9-20 is very special. And it gets to what's important - the message of the gospel without extra stuff.
Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.scripturezealot.com
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 9:34 pm

I find Ezekiel pretty trippy. I think drugs were involved.
Back to top Go down
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 6:34 am

design219 wrote:
I find Ezekiel pretty trippy. I think drugs were involved.

this reminds me, i've always wondered if there was a time, pre-modern america where drugs weren't seen as sinful, but just part of nature to be enjoyed like food....
i'm not saying that is the stance i would take...
but other than the legal issue, I dont see why marijuana would be any worse for you than beer...

LSD and the sort MESS you up, so i can understand arguments against those.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 2:05 pm

rogermugs wrote:
i've always wondered if there was a time, pre-modern america where drugs weren't seen as sinful, but just part of nature to be enjoyed like food....

This might make a good thread topic.

I think hygiene and nutrition started coming into focus as a path to good health, at least in the western culture, about the time of the birth of our country.

This is just a guess, but I'll bet that concept of "purity" of the body was an easy adaptation around that time to Christians as part of the path to righteousness. I don't know when the phrase "cleanliness is next to Godliness" started, but I'll bet it was about then.

The early Spanish, French and English explorers of the Americas were quite taken with tobacco, and I'm sure they were introduced to mary jane at the same time (but it is not as addictive as tobacco). In that same era, the clergy were among the very best alcohol producers.
Back to top Go down
Martin
Novice
Martin

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 6:43 pm

I don't know what my favorite book of the Bible is. I suppose I would have to say the Gospel of John.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
http://martin008.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what's your favorite book of the bible... and why   what's your favorite book of the bible... and why Empty

Back to top Go down

what's your favorite book of the bible... and why
Page 1 of 1