Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? Empty
PostSubject: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:48 am

i'm still not sure I fully understand the concept - though i might well fall into the category
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

Number of posts : 147

i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? Empty
PostSubject: Re: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 am

not following you exactly, "third wave folks"?
Back to top Go down
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 am

I'm with Nathan, never heard of third wave?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 pm

theopedia.com wrote:
The Third Wave is a term apparently coined by Christian theologian C Peter Wagner around 1980 to describe the recent historical working of the Holy Spirit in the church. It is part of a larger movement called the "Neocharismatic" movement. The Third Wave involves those Christians who have received Pentecostal-like experiences; however, those who identify with this movement claim no association with either the Pentecostal or Charismatic movements. According to Wagner:
The First "wave" occurred at the beginning of the twentieth century with the rise of the Pentecostal movement, beginning with the Azusa Street Revival.
The Second "wave" occurred during the 1960s as the Charismatic movement spread throughout mainline protestant denominations, as well as the Roman Catholic Church. The Word of Faith movement is also an expression of this wave.
The Third "wave" occurred during the mid 1980s and continues today, and is associated with Wagner's own ministry, as well as the Vineyard Movement, and others.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm definitely not in this third wave movement. I have traditionally defined myself as pentecostal, or Assemblies of God as I was raised in that denomination. Lately however I've started to think that I'm probably best described as charismatic, and not a pentecostal. I'm still unsure exactly how those terms are understood by most people, but I think charismatic is the best descriptor. Just too many problems with pentecostal theology now that I've thought about it some more.

And don't get me started on all these 'revivals' and things that crop up...
Back to top Go down
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 am

The only observation I can make is that we as a people seem so quick to label ourselves. Whether we belong to an emergent church, or are post-modern, or pentecostal or baptist. Its not like this is a new phenomenon because we used to be born again or evangelical. Each generation seems to want to call itself something different to distance themselves from the older generation.

I'm not sure if this a problem but rather an observation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?   i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills? Empty

Back to top Go down

i know there are some pentecostals but are there any third wave folks in them thar hills?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General :: Lounge-
Jump to: