Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

putting God in the box of the Bible...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

putting God in the box of the Bible... Empty
PostSubject: putting God in the box of the Bible...   putting God in the box of the Bible... EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 4:19 am

I was just reading an interesting article about the canon and one of the things it said is that we can accept the New Testament canon as it is as long as we dont put God into that box saying that the NT is all the God can be.

he then makes some points about how the jews put God in the box of the OT and how that backfired on them etc...

but what I think is interesting about it is this is how I feel a lot of the church handles the bible, "God doesn't do things this way, its not in the Bible. If God wanted to save people through artwork then he would have done so in the bible etc..."

just interesting.
thoughts?

edit:
just to add... this means that the holy spirit should have authority over the bible...
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: putting God in the box of the Bible...   putting God in the box of the Bible... EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:40 am

Quote :
we can accept the New Testament canon as it is as long as we dont put God into that box saying that the NT is all the God can be.

When we start saying there's more to God then what's in the NT we can easily travel down a path that could lead to deep weeds. The Bible is God's message to his creation if we consider accounts or statements they have to be viewed through the lens of scripture.
Quote :
1 John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

but with that said you are correct, we have a creator that is bigger then what we can truly fathom and I believe we tend to get too inward focused on our problems causing them to seemingly to be huge. We need a heavenly perspective and then we'll see how God is so awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
bibledude
Postulant
bibledude

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: putting God in the box of the Bible...   putting God in the box of the Bible... EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 9:44 am

This is a great question. Here's what I think...
If I were to write my autobiography (or even if someone else were to write my biography) you would probably get a pretty good picture of who I am. In the writing, I would probably focus on the most important things in my life that helped you to understand what I want you to know about me. Would you get every little detail about me? Certainly not. Would there be more about me that you could still get to know? Absolutely!

My point is that (in my limited mind) the Bible is what God has chosen to reveal to us, and what He has deemed important for us to know. But just like reading my autobiography and being my friend are at different levels, so would the Bible and God Himself.

I'm not trying to run off is some New Age heretical ideas here, but I do believe that I certainly think that there is more to God than what He chose to reveal to us in the Word. But it is this idea that makes me REALLY look forward to getting to meet Him face-to-face! I am sure that there are not even human words right now to describe what that interaction will be like.

I guess I am just not one for limiting God in anyway...
Back to top Go down
http://bibledude.net/WordPress
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: putting God in the box of the Bible...   putting God in the box of the Bible... Empty

Back to top Go down

putting God in the box of the Bible...
Page 1 of 1