Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Columbia Evangelical Seminary

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Martin
Novice
Martin

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Columbia Evangelical Seminary Empty
PostSubject: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyTue May 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Columbia Evangelical Seminary, what is everyones opinion of this school? Any graduates or professors from CES here?
Back to top Go down
http://martin008.blogspot.com/
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:46 pm

I think thats where my father in law went an he sure seems to think highly of it. Dont know anyone else that went there tho
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
Martin
Novice
Martin

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:40 pm

rogermugs wrote:
I think thats where my father in law went an he sure seems to think highly of it. Dont know anyone else that went there tho

It seems like everyone that I have come across who has had any involvement with the school thinks highly of it. For me, its lack of accreditation is a draw back.
Back to top Go down
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:34 pm

Martin wrote:
rogermugs wrote:

It seems like everyone that I have come across who has had any involvement with the school thinks highly of it. For me, its lack of accreditation is a draw back.

i dont know... i think a lack of accreditation is definitely a reason not to attend, but that said, the president of RTS where I go in orlando was telling me that its hard how they HAVE to cater to accreditation. that is, there are some wonderful professors out there, or other things they could teach which might actually be more profitable for the student, but the school HAS to bend and fold to keep its accreditation or its nothing...

so maybe by not being bound by the accreditation process they're actually able to offer some things that are more valuable.
Back to top Go down
tc
Immoderator
tc

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:40 pm

rogermugs wrote:
Martin wrote:
rogermugs wrote:

i dont know... i think a lack of accreditation is definitely a reason not to attend, but that said, the president of RTS where I go in orlando was telling me that its hard how they HAVE to cater to accreditation. that is, there are some wonderful professors out there, or other things they could teach which might actually be more profitable for the student, but the school HAS to bend and fold to keep its accreditation or its nothing...

so maybe by not being bound by the accreditation process they're actually able to offer some things that are more valuable.

Martin and Roger, I've personally spoken to the president of CES, and he assured me that because of their style they probably would not be accredited.

This, however, is not to take away from the quality of work a person does at CES. I think on their site they have a list of their grads who have gone on to accredited schools.
Back to top Go down
http://newleaven.com
Martin
Novice
Martin

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:50 pm

rogermugs wrote:

==The lack of accreditation is an issue, no doubt about it. It is an issue that anyone who enrolls at CES needs to be informed on. CES's lack of accreditation will come back to haunt those who wish to enter academic fields. However for someone in the ministry, a school like CES might just be what they are looking for. Therefore I would say it just depends upon why a person wants to attend CES. Let's be clear, however, CES is far different and above schools like Trinity College and Seminary and Covington Seminary. Andersonville Seminary lacks accreditation, and I have blasted away at them in the past, however some of their new programs show promise. That said, however, I would still advise people to shy away from Andersonville.
Back to top Go down
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyMon May 19, 2008 11:09 pm

i definitely can see value in a school that offers something better for a person in ministry than a program thats accredited but not as focused...
Back to top Go down
tc
Immoderator
tc

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:47 am

Martin wrote:
rogermugs wrote:

==The lack of accreditation is an issue, no doubt about it. It is an issue that anyone who enrolls at CES needs to be informed on. CES's lack of accreditation will come back to haunt those who wish to enter academic fields. However for someone in the ministry, a school like CES might just be what they are looking for. Therefore I would say it just depends upon why a person wants to attend CES. Let's be clear, however, CES is far different and above schools like Trinity College and Seminary and Covington Seminary. Andersonville Seminary lacks accreditation, and I have blasted away at them in the past, however some of their new programs show promise. That said, however, I would still advise people to shy away from Andersonville.

Martin, because of the profs at CES and the mentoring program, I'll choose it over all the other schools mentioned above.

I never thought well of Andersonville.
Back to top Go down
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyTue May 20, 2008 7:56 pm

i've never heard of andersonville but ya'll sparked my interest... especially in this page:

Choosing a seminary

.. . . . .After eliminating schools with poor doctrinal stances and poor academic legitimacy, you will find that the selection of seminary has been greatly simplified. . . . .

anyhoo... you two might get a kick out of it.
Back to top Go down
tc
Immoderator
tc

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyTue May 20, 2008 9:08 pm

rogermugs wrote:
i've never heard of andersonville but ya'll sparked my interest... especially in this page:

Choosing a seminary

.. . . . .After eliminating schools with poor doctrinal stances and poor academic legitimacy, you will find that the selection of seminary has been greatly simplified. . . . .

anyhoo... you two might get a kick out of it.

Roger, as Martin mentioned above, Andersonville might work for some people, but if you're looking to go into academia, or you're looking for serious academic rigor, Andersonville is not the school to go.
Back to top Go down
Martin
Novice
Martin

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:30 pm

tc wrote:
I never thought well of Andersonville.

==I really look forward to the day when Andersonville Seminary gets on the right track. I don't know that such a day will ever come, but some of their new programs give me hope. They are starting what appears to be a serious focus on the languages and more intensive work. It is certainly a step in the right direction. They need to get accredited, at least through TRACS, and then go on to the next step. I think they can do it. The only question is, will they do it? I don't know the answer to that. Question
Back to top Go down
sdducett
Postulant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-01

PostSubject: CES and Dr. Walston    Columbia Evangelical Seminary EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

I earned my D.Min from CES. Rick was my mentor. I transferred from another seminary and he helped me bring my writing skills up to the doctoral level. He is a fine mentor and the school standards are very high. Because the school does not have a campus, accreditation will probably never be achieved unless the accreditation agencies more into the 21st century and realize that a campus is no longer necessary. You can learn about what I do in ministry at www.thebereanbibleministry.org.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbia Evangelical Seminary   Columbia Evangelical Seminary Empty

Back to top Go down

Columbia Evangelical Seminary
Page 1 of 1