Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

which translation do you use? why?

Go down 
+4
Nathan
Martin
tc
rogermugs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

which translation do you use? why? Empty
PostSubject: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:07 pm

for morning reading I prefer ESV for its readability.
my study bible is still NIV from when i was young.
but i keep an NASB in my pocket because i like its accuracy and for reference.
I also recently bought an NET which I love but its bulky...

mostly esv, I find it somewhere between an NIV and NASB which I think is a good balance

this is a discussion i was having with TC today... curious what ya'll think... and do you buy a bible based on readability, reliability, gender issues, price, publisher or what?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
tc
Immoderator
tc

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:18 pm

rogermugs wrote:
for morning reading I prefer ESV for its readability.
my study bible is still NIV from when i was young.
but i keep an NASB in my pocket because i like its accuracy and for reference.
I also recently bought an NET which I love but its bulky...

mostly esv, I find it somewhere between an NIV and NASB which I think is a good balance

this is a discussion i was having with TC today... curious what ya'll think... and do you buy a bible based on readability, reliability, gender issues, price, publisher or what?

Roger, while the are good qualities in all the major translations of the Bible, I still like my TNIV. I'm looking into the NET, so let's see where that will lead.

While I had many misgiving with the NIV, the TNIV has corrected most of them (some still remain).

I really like the flow of the TNIV, and I find it to be quite accurate, despite the gender issue.

So the TNIV it is for me!
Back to top Go down
http://newleaven.com
Martin
Novice
Martin

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:36 pm

I use the NASB. I got started using it during seminary and just never stopped. I like the way it translates passages. It is a very faithful translation. I have all of the other translations in my library, but I only use them for reference purposes. I have tried to transition to the ESV or HCSB, but I just can't pull myself away from the NASB. That just might have something to do with the fact that my copy of the NASB has all of my notes in it Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://martin008.blogspot.com/
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:04 pm

Martin wrote:
I have tried to transition to the ESV or HCSB, but I just can't pull myself away from the NASB.

you, like nathan, fear change.
thats funny to me.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:24 pm

I don't fear change.

Also, my reply will probably be pretty long and require pictures, so I'll reply to this later. If I forget remind me, cause I was actually thinking about blogging this. For a quick answer, I read a TNIV at home and take a different TNIV to church. However it is not my preferred translation, I'll have to explain more later.
Back to top Go down
Martin
Novice
Martin

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:15 am

rogermugs wrote:
Martin wrote:
I have tried to transition to the ESV or HCSB, but I just can't pull myself away from the NASB.

you, like nathan, fear change.
thats funny to me.

This is true. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://martin008.blogspot.com/
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:38 am

I use NIV in general, no particular reason other then that's what my church uses and its what I settled in on. I use other translations for cross-referencing when doing a Bible study. I find that works the best from time to time. I think in general most of the mainstream translations are all fine and it all boils down to personal preference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptySat May 24, 2008 9:11 pm

maflynn wrote:
I think in general most of the mainstream translations are all fine and it all boils down to personal preference.

i dont disagree with that. Although I do get a big kick out of people who use the KJV because its the "holy" Bible. Also those who like it because its poetic.

nathan wrote:
I don't fear change.

I didn't mean it in a bad way... didn't you yourself say that change bothered you? esp in relation to the layout of this forum Laughing

the older I get the more set in my ways I become. I'm really shocked how much a creature of routine i've become.
scary actually

go ESV, and nathan i'm curious to hear your long answer... even if you blog it, you're more than welcome to post it both places... i mean.. .doesn't bother me any.
Back to top Go down
Ethan Johnson
Postulant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptySat May 24, 2008 10:52 pm

HCSB. Good and solid.
Back to top Go down
Nick Norelli
Immoderator
Nick Norelli

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:43 am

I use the KJV because it sounds the best when you read it out loud.
Back to top Go down
http://rdtwot.wordpress.com
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 10:09 am

Nick Norelli wrote:
I use the KJV because it sounds the best when you read it out loud.

i bet a really holy person could make a NASB sound good.... but they'd have to be REALLY holy
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 5:08 pm

I've never found the NASB to be as "wooden" as it's reputation declares. Also, I'll be posting about my translation as soon as I get some free time, probably later tonight. I've been thinking about it, and I suppose the TNIV is probably as close as it gets to a good English translation for me. I'll try to expound on that when I post on my blog though.
Back to top Go down
tc
Immoderator
tc

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Nathan wrote:
I've never found the NASB to be as "wooden" as it's reputation declares. Also, I'll be posting about my translation as soon as I get some free time, probably later tonight. I've been thinking about it, and I suppose the TNIV is probably as close as it gets to a good English translation for me. I'll try to expound on that when I post on my blog though.

Nathan, for someone who has used the NASB for more than four years, I do think it's wooden in some places. It's not the smoothest version to read.
Back to top Go down
http://newleaven.com
makahiya
Postulant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-10-03

PostSubject: In Love and Sincerity   which translation do you use? why? EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am

Thread: Final Authority and Final Canonization

I wish to present my theory of final authority and final canonization,
not to doubtful disputation, envy, strive or contention
but in love and sincerity.

Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye,
but not to doubtful disputations.

Philippians 1:15-17
15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife . . .
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely . . .
17 But the other of love . . .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which translation do you use? why?   which translation do you use? why? Empty

Back to top Go down

which translation do you use? why?
Page 1 of 1