Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Is it time to update the Bible?

Go down 
+4
tc
maflynn
Nathan
design219
8 posters
AuthorMessage
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Is it time to update the Bible? Empty
PostSubject: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Most Christians use the Bible as a source for answers to complex problems. Is it relevant enough in the current form to handle today modern issues?

This may sound weird, but who determines if the Bible is finished? I would assume the Catholic Church, since they put it together.

Should it be updated to address issues like cloning, stem cell research, physician assisted suicide, environmental destruction, abortion, governance of weapons of mass destruction, exploration of the heavens, cyberspace, interacting with other faiths, etc., etc.

These are things not imagined or dealt with during the hundreds of years the Bible was being assembled and edited, why not press modern doctrine into a newer testament, or amendments? The book itself is not a holy artifact.

Crazy ramblings? Should I just sit down now? scratch
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Wow that is a lot to chew on. I'm going to mull it over at work tomorrow. I understand your point, and disagree with your perspective in places. But I really need to get some sleep so I'm gonna go.
Sleep
Back to top Go down
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Your avatar gives me bad dreams Nathan.
Back to top Go down
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:53 am

People have been saying that, probably nearly every generation but people still find it relevant. Yes it's quiet on the subject matter of the internet, but 60 years ago, I'm sure people were posting on the intarweb (its made of tubes after all) whether the Bible should be updated because of new invention - the TV, before that was radio etc.

While culture, technology and knowledge has changed these past few millennia, one thing remains the same. Mankind is sinful, there's a consequence to be paid for that since and God has provided that payment through his Son.

the French philosopher Voltaire, a skeptic of the Bible and Christianity boasted "that within 100 years of his death (in 1728), the Bible would disappear." So far that has not happened.

The truth of the matter is, that for Christian's the Book is a God breathed document and adding anything to it, would wrong and actually decrease its message. Jews of course feel the same way but only for the Old Testament
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 5:20 pm

design219 wrote:
Behold, in all it's glory!

Is it time to update the Bible? Beholder
Back to top Go down
tc
Immoderator
tc

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Nathan wrote:
design219 wrote:
Behold, in all it's glory!

Is it time to update the Bible? Beholder

Nathan, that is one scary face!
Back to top Go down
http://newleaven.com
Nathan
Xenophile
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 3:36 am

Nah, that's just before I've had my coffee.
Back to top Go down
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 7:21 am

Nathan wrote:
Nah, that's just before I've had my coffee.
You haven't seen my wife in the morning, it makes this face look like something from sesame street Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologynow.net
ebuddy
Postulant
ebuddy

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 9:55 am

design219 wrote:
Most Christians use the Bible as a source for answers to complex problems. Is it relevant enough in the current form to handle today modern issues?
Unfortunately, it is contingent on your presuppositions. In many cases, if one is opposed to any or all of the issues you raise, Scripture could be retro-fitted to address them. Even in cases where the Bible is seemingly clear, people have justified their transgression using Scripture.

Quote :
This may sound weird, but who determines if the Bible is finished? I would assume the Catholic Church, since they put it together.
It seems God determines if the Bible is finished. Matt 5:18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."
You could say a "jot" is the stem of a lower case 'i' and the dot above the stem of the i is a "tittle" and yet none are to change. It is interesting to note that the earliest Hebrew Old Testament copies were not allowed in the synagogue unless it perfectly matched the earlier. They determined this by literally counting instances of every letter, word, sentence, chapter, and section and comparing this calculation with the copy in question.

Quote :
Should it be updated to address issues like cloning
Man had clearly been given dominion over animals, but nothing is said of dominion over other people in the same fashion. Even without Scripture, some clear ethical boundaries and profound implications exist. Will these "botched" clones be terminated?

Quote :
stem cell research
embryonic? The embryo is destroyed.
Psalm 139:13-16; 13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[a]
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

We were potentially created to be prophets of nations;
Jeremiah 1:4-5; 4 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:
5 “ Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”

Quote :
physician assisted suicide
This is to typically alleviate suffering. It is interesting that the West regards suffering in a much different way than other cultures. Suffering in many cultures is regarded as an opportunity to demonstrate trust and faith. Suffering is also an ambiguous desire. Too often, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary state. The instances of suicide in Scripture are not different than the various forms of suicide today. Shame, guilt, vengeance, impulse, jealousy, and rebellion. For every one who has committed suicide for any given number of reasons, thousands have lived with the affliction and either rose above, saw the good in it, or were able to demonstrate faith through it to others.

Quote :
environmental destruction
Genesis 2:15; And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. In this passage it is implied that the garden was in need of "dressing" and "keeping". Just as you can judge a man by his fruits, you can judge a man's actions by the fruits of those actions. Just as God has given us His Word, He has also endowed us with common sense. By destroying or disrupting our environment, we are subject to the result of that action just as there is consequence of any sin. Unfortunately, man has often elevated creation above the Creator. This is clearly shunned in Scripture.

Quote :
abortion
The Bible does not generally differentiate "fetus" from "human" or man, woman, and child. In fact, even a cursory glance at Scripture shows at least 30 references to the unborn being regarded as fully-human. There are references in Scripture to "the children struggled within her" regarding twins in the mother's womb and numerous other instances where the fetus was regarded no differently than an entity we'd find it reprehensible to kill. Enough in fact that the overwhelming majority of those who hold Scripture in high regard (theologians and laypeople alike) reject the practice of abortion. Still, the merits of the action are often found in the fruits that you'd know it as you'd know any man by his fruits. The incredible rise of STDs, unwed mothers, fatherless children, increases in children born into poverty, teen crime, etc... (all reasons given for the importance of maintaining reproductive "rights") indicate that abortion is a permanent solution to a temporary "problem". The merits of the action are arguable at best.

Quote :
governance of weapons of mass destruction
This is the bi-product of a mistaken and sinful mankind as Mayflynn alluded to. It is not in God's design that these be necessary and they will be returned to order. Micah 4:2-4
2 Many nations shall come and say,
“ Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD,
To the house of the God of Jacob;
He will teach us His ways,
And we shall walk in His paths.”
For out of Zion the law shall go forth,
And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
3 He shall judge between many peoples,
And rebuke strong nations afar off;
They shall beat their swords into plowshares,
And their spears into pruning hooks;
Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
Neither shall they learn war anymore.[a]
4 But everyone shall sit under his vine and under his fig tree,
And no one shall make them afraid;
For the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken.

Quote :
exploration of the heavens
This is perhaps where "rambling" may have begun. Wink What should the Bible say either yay or nay on the above? Many of faith believe our very position among the above was as designed specifically for our exploration.

Quote :
cyberspace
Our ability to communicate in this manner has brought the opportunity of fellowship as never before. IMO, this aspect of our society is no different than traditional communication including the opportunities for sin in it.

Quote :
These are things not imagined or dealt with during the hundreds of years the Bible was being assembled and edited, why not press modern doctrine into a newer testament, or amendments? The book itself is not a holy artifact.
I guess the question is; why press modern doctrine into a newer testament or amendments when it seems the Scripture we have is more than sufficient in its central theme. Is our salvation contingent upon any of the above advancements (or declines)? Is our knowledge of God any more or less in need of clarification given these societal developments?
Back to top Go down
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 9:20 pm

ebuddy - epic post.
and while you may not have answered all the questions to his satisfaction this is exactly the reason for a forum. I'm so proud.
*single tear
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Yes, good post ebuddy.

Roger, I didn't really expect the question to be answered, but discussed. And that is what makes forums so interesting.

This one is turning out nice...keep new members coming!
Back to top Go down
Nick Norelli
Immoderator
Nick Norelli

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 9:43 pm

I don't think the Bible needs updating to address these issues. Why appeal to the Bible at all in regard to issues it is silent on? Doesn't seem necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://rdtwot.wordpress.com
rogermugs
theologer
rogermugs

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Nick Norelli wrote:
I don't think the Bible needs updating to address these issues. Why appeal to the Bible at all in regard to issues it is silent on? Doesn't seem necessary.

so you're saying what? appeal to morality? appeal to God? or from what do we decide what we will have views on these sorts of things if its not applying biblical truth?

design219 wrote:
Roger, I didn't really expect the question to be answered, but discussed. And that is what makes forums so interesting.

yea i suppose any sort of answer is still just a part of a discussion.. .but yea... agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theologer.com
Ethan Johnson
Postulant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySat May 24, 2008 10:50 pm

As a newcomer, I don't think we need to update the Bible. Man problem is still sin in its many expressions.
Back to top Go down
Nick Norelli
Immoderator
Nick Norelli

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:39 am

Quote :
so you're saying what? appeal to morality? appeal to God? or from what do we decide what we will have views on these sorts of things if its not applying biblical truth?

I'm saying that all of the answers to all the world's questions aren't found in the Bible. Seek them where they can be found. If that's the Bible, then great. But if it's not, then no big deal.
Back to top Go down
http://rdtwot.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to update the Bible?   Is it time to update the Bible? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it time to update the Bible?
Page 1 of 1